By Esperanza de Varona, 1987
Scope and Contents of the Materials
This collection contains materials documenting Pope John Paul II's visit to Miami, September 10-11, 1987. It includes photographs, memorabilia, newspaper clippings, special edition periodicals, and posters. The collection was compiled with donations from various people working at the University of Miami's Otto G. Richter Library. The photographs in this collection were taken by members of the Otto G. Richter Library staff during the Papal visit. They were donated by Georgina Golik, Ana Rosa Núñez, and Blanca Herrera Torres.
Alternate Extent Statement:
The collection is open for research.
Gift of various Otto G. Richter Library staff, 1987
The Pope: Journey to America. (1987). New York, NY: Beekman House.
The Pope in America : a pictorial record.Secaucus, N.J. : Chartwell Books, 1979.
Papal Visit collection, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida.
Esperanza de Varona, 1987. Encoded by: Giselle Fernandez, October 2003
Retrospectively converted from HTML to EAD XML September, 2008 by Lyn MacCorkle and Kyle Rimkus based on a crosswalk by María Estorino.
Finding Aid Revision History:
Revisions to the collection-level record made by Beata Bergen, June 2009.
Revisions made by Steve Hersh, April 2013, as part of transfer of collection from the Cuban Heritage Collection to the Special Collections division.
On September 10, 1987, Pope John Paul II began a nine-city tour of the United States in Miami, Florida. He was welcomed by a group of 4,500 political and religious dignitaries led by President Ronald Reagan. His visit to Miami included a parade down Biscayne Boulevard on the evening of Thursday, September 10 and a morning, outdoor Mass at Tamiami Park on Friday, September 11, 1987.
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Memorabilia: Papal Mass
- Item 1: St. Brendan Papal Mass Pilgrimage, 1987
- General instructions and guide for the Papal Mass. Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Item 2: Map of the Papal Mass site, 1987
- Photocopy, with numbered pods, concession areas and restrooms.
- Item 3: Map of altar area, 1987
- Photocopy, with sequential list of activities taking place at the Mass site and those to be broadcast over WTMI radio.
- Item 4: Papal Mass program, 1987
- Titled, "Let Us Offer One Another A Sign of Peace." Includes list of donors and benefactors for the Papal Visit. Celebration of the Eucharist for Peace and Reconciliation. His Holiness John Paul II, Miami, Florida, September 11, 1987. Collection holds two copies.
- Folder 2: Memorabilia: Button, 1987
- "Bienvenido Juan Pablo II," white button with drawing of Pope John Paul II, horizontal blue band with a yellow drawing of the Shrine of Our Lady of Charity.
- Folder 3: Memorabilia: Invitations
- Item 1: Office of Youth Ministry/Oficina de Pastoral Juvenil invites you to participate as a banner carrier at the Papal Mass, Miami Shores, Florida, August 18, 1987
- Item 2: The Miami-Dade Public Library System invites you to preview The Journeys of the Pope, an exhibition of photographs and videotape. Miami, August 6, 1987
- Item 3: The Archbishop of Miami, Edward A. McCarthy, invites you to welcome His Holiness John Paul II. September 10 and 11, 1987
- Item 4: United States Catholic Conference: The Archbishop of Miami invites you to welcome Pope John Paul II on his Pastoral visit to Miami, September 10-11, 1987
- Item 5: Acrósticos a Su Santidad Juan Pablo II, by Julián Martínez, 1987
- Item 6: Program: Fiesta de la Virgen de la Caridad en el Año Santo Mariano, September 8, 1987
- Folder 4: Memorabilia: Parking Permits
- Item 1: Miami Papal Visit VIP parking permit for airport arrival at Miami International Airport, September 10, 1987
- Item 2: Papal Visit, St. Brendan Parking Permit, 1987
- Folder 5: Memorabilia: Bumper Stickers
- Item 1: Juan Pablo II, Mensajero de Paz, September 10-11, 1987
- Item 2: Johannes Paulus PP. II, 1987
- Folder 6: Memorabilia: Tickets
- Item 1: Pope John Paul II Miami International Airport Arrival, Thursday, September 10, 1987
- Item 2: Pope John Paul II Papal Mass, Miami, Friday, September 11, 1987
- Folder 7: Speeches
- Item 1: Speech by President Ronald Reagan, 1987
- The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. Text of Remarks by the President upon the Arrival of His Holiness John Paul II. Miami International Airport, Miami, Fl, September 10, 1987
- Item 2: Speech by Pope John Paul II, 1987
- Holy See Press Office, Vatican - USA - Miami. "Arrival at Miami," 10. IX 1987. [September 10, 1987]
- Folder 8: Correspondence
- Item 1: Letter from Pope John Paul II to John L. May, Archbishop of St. Louis, Vatican, August 8, 1987
- Item 2: Open letter and petition to Pope John II imploring his help for Cuban refugees and those in Cuba, 1987
- Folder 9: Photographs
- Item 1: Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy in the "Popemobile" as they rode through the crowd at the Mass, 1987
- Item 2: A view of the crowd at the Papal Mass, many of them waving Cuban flags, 1987
- Item 3: Pope John Paul II and President Ronald Reagan shaking hands at the podium at Miami International Airport at the Pope's arrival, 1987
- Item 4: Pope John Paul II exiting his Alitalia plane upon his arrival in Miami, 1987
- Item 5: President Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan as they walk from their limousine to the stairs of the Pope's plane, 1987
- Item 6: A view of the official vehicles and limousines at Miami International Airport for the Pope's arrival, 1987
- Item 7: Pope John Paul II and President Reagan greeting each other on the podium at Miami International Airport, 1987
- Item 8: A sign posted on Interstate 95 prior to the Papal Visit reading: "Notice: Papal Visit Sept. SO. 1-95 closed N.W. 103 St. to U.S. 1.", 1987
- Item 9: Pope John Paul II in his "Popemobile" riding through the crowd, waving Cuban flags, at the Papal Mass, 1987
- Item 10: National Guardsmen patrolling Biscayne Boulevard before the Papal Parade, 1987
- Item 11: Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy in the Pope's vehicle during the Papal Parade down Biscayne Boulevard, 1987
- Item 12: Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy in the Pope's vehicle during the Papal Parade down Biscayne Boulevard, 1987
- Item 13: Pope John Paul II and Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy in the Pope's vehicle during the Papal Parade down Biscayne Boulevard, 1987
- Item 14: The altar for the Papal Mass dominated by the 100 ft. high white cross. On the altar are 120 banner carriers (youth of the Archdiocese) with their multicolored banners, 1987
- Item 15: Pope John Paul II in the Mass Processional at the altar midplatform acknowledging the crowd at the Mass, 1987
- Item 16: Pope John Paul II at the top of the altar acknowledging the crowd at the Mass, during the Mass Processional, 1987
- Item 17: Pope John Paul II saying Mass at Tamiami Park/F.I.U. with a priest serving as his acolyte at his side, 1987
- Item 18: The Papal Mass choir in the stands prior to the beginning of the Papal Mass, 1987
- Item 19: A spectator at the Papal Mass holding a Cuban flag and a flag commemorating the Papal Visit with a security tower in the background, 1987
- Item 20: A billboard with a yellow and white background and blue lettering saying "Welcome to South Florida, Pope John Paul II -Casinos Pizza", 1987
- Item 21: The Statue of Our Lady of Charity, Patroness of Cuba, at the Ermita de la Caridad (Shrine of our Lady of Charity), 1987
- This is the statue present in the chapel in Archbishop McCarthy's residence where the Pope prayed. The globe that the statue rests on has the Papal Coat of Arms and Motto "Totus Tuus." The Pope mentioned that he had venerated the statue during the Homily at the Papal Mass.
- Item 22: The yellow and white banners hung from light poles in downtown Miami for the Papal Visit with the Papal Triple Crown, the crossed Keys, the Kingdom, and the symbols of the Papacy, 1987
- The banners say "Miami, Sept. 10th & 11th, 1987".
- Item 23: Giant purple and white banner created by Rubén Travieso suspended from the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami, where the Pope would see it during the Papal Parade, 1987
- The banner says "Juan Pablo Mi amigo Miami Está Contigo [John Paul, My friend, Miami is with you.] John Paul II Miami Loves You!"
- Folder 10: Book: The Papal Visit - John Paul II in Miami, 1987
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Memorabilia: Flags
- Item 1: Cuban paper flag on wooden stick, 1987
- Labeled "Cuba desterrada saluda a S.S. Juan Pablo II." (Exiled Cuba welcomes His Holiness John Paul II), Municipios de Cuba en el Exilio.
- Item 2: Papal visit flag, 1987
- Cloth, silkscreen in color, reads "His Holiness John Paul II; Su Santidad Juan Pablo II; Su Santité Jean Paul II. Miami, Sept. 10/11, 1987."
- Folder 2: Periodicals and Newspapers
- Item 1: The Voice: Official Publication of the Catholic Archdiocese of Miami, 1987
- Papal Preview Issue, Vol. 34, no. 17, (Sept. 4, 1987). Miami, FL.
- Item 2: La Voz: Publicación Oficial de la Arquidiócesis Católica de Miami, 1987
- Edición Especial, Sept. 10, 1987.
- Item 3: The Voice: Official Publication of the Catholic Archdiocese of Miami, 1987
- Papal Souvenir Issue. Vol. 14, no 18, Sept 18, 1987. Miami, FL.
- Item 4: La Voz: Publicación Oficial de la Arquidiocesis Católica de Miami, 1987
- Edición Especial. Sept 25, 1987.
- Item 5: The Word Among Us, 1987
- Anthony Bosnick. [Published by] The Word Among Us. Sept. 1987. [Papal Visit Edition].
- Item 6: La Voz: Publicación Oficial de la Arquediocesis Católica de Miami., 1987
- Vol. XXIV, 28 de agosto de 1987.
- Item 7: La Nación, 1987
- Año XI, no. 605, Sep. 4, 1987.
- Item 8: Ideal, 1987
- Edición Especial
- Item 9: The Miami Herald, 1987
- A Special Section - The Papal Visit, Sunday, Sept. 7, 1987.
- Item 10: El Miami Herald [Spanish], 1987
- Sección Especial - Visita del Papa. Wednesday, Sept. 9, 1987.
- Folder 3: 12" vinyl record: Voz y Mensaje de su Santidad Juan Pablo II, n.d.