By Yvette Yurubi
Title: Florida Culinary History Collection, 1911-2016
Extent: 5.0 Boxes
Languages: English, Spanish;Castilian
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Florida Culinary History Collection contains a wide range of materials related to Florida's rich history of food, its unique restaurants and dishes, and its domestic food production. Items within the collection include pamphlets, flyers, ephemera, periodicals, and other memoribilia originating from Florida.
The collection is open for research.
Copyright to these materials lies with the University of Miami. They may not be reproduced, retransmitted, published, distributed, or broadcast without the permission of Special Collection. For information about obtaining copies or to request permission to publish any part of an interview, please contact Special Collections at email@example.com.
Florida Menu Collection
Florida Ephemera Collection
Florida Postcard Collection
Florida Promotional Materials Collection
Florida Culinary History collection, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida.
The collection was originally processed by Yvette Yurubi in 2013. New acquisitions are periodically added. All menus formerly kept in this collection have been moved to the Florida Menu Collection as of June 2016.
Box and Folder Listing
- Series I: Ephemera
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Flyer: Jewish Museum of Food Exhibit, 2013
- Folder 2: Flyers: Robert is Here Fruit Stand and Farm and Frankie's Pizza, n.d.
- Folder 3: Flyer: Growfest!, 2013
- Folder 4: Brochure: Delivery Wow Restaurant Ordering Guide, 2013
- Folder 5: Report: Fair Food Program Report, 2011-2013, 2014
- Folder 6: Flyer: Mai-Kai Restaurant, n.d.
- Folder 7: Flyers: Dinners in Paradise and TeenasPride CSA, 2014
- Folder 8: Pamphlet: learn about Community Supported Agriculture, n.d.
- Folder 9: Flyers: Toscana Divino, 2014
- Folder 10: Flyer: A Dinner in Paradise, 2014
- Folder 11: Calendar: Biltmore Hotel August Calendar of Events, 2014
- Folder 12: Booklet: Sobe WFF Presented by Food and Wine, Official Guide, 2015
- Folder 13: Clippings: The Miami Herald, Listin Diario, 1988, 1994
- Featuring articles entitled "Pare fat from feast and relish healthy day" (The Miami Herald, 1988) and "De El Salvador las populares 'pupusas' y lose 'tamales de elote'" (El Listin Diario, 1994)
- Folder 14: Business Card: Pastel Guayaba Bakery, n.d.
- Folder 15: Brochure: Lue Gim Gong Orange, 1911
- "Glen Saint Mary Nurseries Company. Glen Saint Mary, Florida,1911. Brochure, 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches unfolding to 8 1/2 x 13 inches, with original mailing envelope... Description, comparisons, and testimonials for the Lue Gim Gong Orange." -Oldimprints.com
- Folder 16: Business Cards: Jamrock, n.d.
- Folder 17: Brochure: Opa Locka, Florida, Old Scandia Smorgusbord Restaurant, n.d.
- Folder 18: Flyers: Food Day, University of Miami, 2015
- Folder 19: Pass & Lanyard: South Beach Reunion, 2016
- Folder 20: Flyer: Clovermint Vegan Cafe & Market, 2016
- Folder 21: Program: Seed Food and Wine Festival, Miami Beach, 2016
- Folder 22: Bookmark: Trees that Feed, n.d.
- Folder 23: Flyer: Jewish Deli Obituaries, 2016
- Folder 24: Guide: Centralfare Marketplace, 2016
- Folder 25: Guide: South Beach Wine and Food Festival, 2017
- Folder 26: Placemat: Sheraton British Colonial Hotel, n.d.
- Folder 27: Newspaper: Cooking on the Cutting Edge, 1988
- Excerpt from Living Today that includes an article on the chefs, Cyrille Wendling (La Vieile Maison), Mark Militello (Max's Place), and Katsuo Sugiura (Grand Bay Hotel).
- Folder 28: Flyer: "Prairie Flower, Wetumpka Fruit Co., Hastings, Florida", n.d.
- Folder 29: Flyer: "Mustang Brand, California Vegetables", n.d.
- Folder 30: Program and Ephemera: Hukilau, 2017
- Folder 31: Flyer: To the Moon Marketplace, 2017
- Folder 32: Business Card: Lost Kitchen, n.d.
- Folder 33: Advertisements, 2017
- Farmer's Market First Aid Benefit advertisement. Food Day 2017 advertisement. Health Ade Kombucha advertisement. 2 Southwest Community Farmers Market advertisements. Seed Food &Wine Week Full Schedule. Wellness in the Schools pamphlet with recipies. Fruit & Spice Park pamphlet with schedule of events. Edible South Florida booklet.
- Box 2
- Items in this box were donated by Gretchen Schmidt, 2015.
- Folder 1: Sperry and Hutchinson stamps, certificates, and booklets, n.d.
- Folder 2: Misc. Florida Matchbooks and Matchboxes, n.d.
- 2 Thirsty Whale matchbooks; 1 Pacific Time matchbox; 1 South Beach Brasserie matchbox; 1 The Porcupine Grill matchbook; 1 George’s matchbox; 1 Bruzi: A California Trattoria matchbox; 1 Lincontro Ristorante matchbox; 1 The Capital Grille matchbox; 1 Paquitos Mexican Restaurant matchbook; 1 Bar Six matchbook; 1 Monty's matchbook
- Item 1 & 2: White chef’s aprons with “The Cellar Club at the Biltmore Hotel” branded on it, n.d.
- Used for the Interactive Luncheon Series during the South Beach Wine & Food festival.
- Item 3: White chef’s apron with “Campo Viejo presents Miami Spice Restaurant Month 2005” branded on it, 2005
- Item 4: Plastic disposable lobster bib, n.d.
- Item 5: Epicure market paper bag, n.d.
- Series II: Periodicals
- Box 3: Edible South Florida
- Locally distributed magazine that is published by Katie Sullivan and edited by Gretchen Schmidt. It focuses on food in South Florida with articles on budding chefs, recommended restaurants, recipes, local events, Florida produce, and more.
- Folder 1: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 3, Volume 4, Summer 2013
- Folder 2: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 4, Volume 4, Fall 2013
- Folder 3: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 1, Volume 5, Winter 2014
- Folder 4: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 2, Volume 5, Spring 2014
- Folder 5: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 3, Volume 5, Summer 2014
- Folder 6: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 4, Volume 5, Fall 2014
- Folder 7: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 1, Volume 6, Winter 2015
- Folder 8: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 2, Volume 6, Spring 2015
- Folder 9: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 3, Volume 6, Summer 2015
- Folder 10: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 4, Volume 6, Fall 2015
- Folder 11: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 1, Volume 7, Winter 2016
- Folder 12: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 2, Volume 7, Spring 2016
- Folder 13: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 3, Volume 7, Summer 2016
- Folder 14: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 4, Volume 7, Fall 2016
- Folder 15: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 1, Volume 8, Winter 2017
- Folder 16: Magazine: Edible South Florida, Number 2, Volume 8, Spring 2017
- Box 4: Other Local Florida Food Magazines
- Folder 1: Magazine: Florida Food and Farm, Spring 2015
- Folder 2: Magazine: Florida Food and Farm, Summer 2015
- Folder 3: Magazine: Florida Food and Farm, Fall 2015
- Folder 4: Magazine: Florida Food and Farm, Winter 2016
- Folder 5: Magazine: Florida Food and Farm, Spring 2016
- Folder 6: Magazine: The Menu Guide, February 2013
- Folder 7: Magazine: Natural Awakenings, February 2015
- Folder 8: Magazine: Natural Awakenings, May 2015
- Folder 9: Magazine: Natural Awakenings, October 2015
- Series III: Postcards
- Box 5
- Item 1: Clearwater, FL - Business Center, n.d.
- Item 2: Clearwater Beach, FL - Clearwater Beach Hotel, 1944
- Item 3: Clearwater Beach, FL - The Pelican Restaurant, 1957
- Item 4: Madeira Beach, FL - The Yorktown, n.d.
- Item 5: Miami Beach, FL - Sonny's Italian Food, n.d.
- Item 6: Ormond Beach, FL - Snack Jack Restaurant, n.d.
- Item 7: Pinellas Park, FL - Country Villa Restaurant & Lounge, n.d.
- Item 8: St. Augustine, FL - Blue Bay Cafe, ca. 1940s-1950s
- Item 9: St. Petersburg, FL - The Carleve Hotel, n.d.
- Item 10: St. Petersburg, FL - Colburn Guest Home, 1957
- Item 11: St. Petersburg, FL - Driftwood Cafeteria, n.d.
- Item 12: St. Petersburg, FL - Joe and Lee's Spaghetti Palace and Restaurant, n.d.
- Item 13: St. Petersburg, FL - Lexington Arms Apartments, 1940
- Item 14: St. Petersburg, FL - Louis Pappas' Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge, n.d.
- Item 15: St. Petersburg, FL - Lowe's Camp
- Item 16: St. Petersburg, FL - Moock's Tavern, n.d.
- Item 17: St. Petersburg, FL - Moock's Tavern, n.d.
- Item 18: St. Petersburg, FL - Motor Banking, n.d.
- Item 19: St. Petersburg, FL - Park View Motor Court, 1955
- Item 20: St. Petersburg, FL - Penguin Beach Club, n.d.
- Item 21: St. Petersburg, FL - Sand Dollar Restaurant and Lounge, n.d.
- Item 22: St. Petersburg, FL - Seaboard Railroad, n.d.
- Item 23: St. Petersburg, FL - Tamiami Hotel, n.d.
- Item 24: St. Petersburg, FL - Tiffany's Restaurant & Lounge, n.d.
- Item 25: St. Petersburg, FL - W & W Restaurant and Fountain, 1950
- Item 26: Tampashores, FL - The Olds Tavern, 1934