By Yvette Yurubi
Title: Aviation Ephemera Collection, 1919-1945
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Aviation Ephemera Collection contains posters, reports, postcards, brochures, programs, pamphlets and other ephemera from all parts of the globe relating to the subject of aviation and its vast history.
This collection is open for research.
Aviation Ephemera Collection Finding Aid © 2014 University of Miami. All rights reserved. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aviation Ephemera Collection, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida.
The collection was processed by Yvette Yurubi in 2014. New acquisitions are periodically added.
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Mitchel Haifter, instructor, Daniel Guggenheim School of Aeronautics, New York University, Airplane Engine Laboratory, Collection of Mimeograph Notes and Student Papers, 1930-1932
- "10 pages notes, 11 x 8.5," Power & Efficiency of Engines, Description of Brake-Horsepower Tests, Aircraft Engine Ignition System. 5 manuscript student papers, 5-10 pages, 4 with covers, Course AE66, Study of Aircraft Engines, Disassembly & Student of Hispano-Suiza Aircraft Engines, Disassembly of Liberty 12 Engine, 4 graded 'B,' 1 'C' with letter from Haifter." - Peter L. Masi
- Folder 2: Aviation Ball Committee, Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts Invitation, 1919
- "Aviation Ball Committee, Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts. The Aero Club of Massachusetts requests the pleasure of your company at an Aviation Ball at the Copley Plaza, May 28, 1919, to be given for the purpose of raising funds for a Club House to be erected as a memorial to the men from New England who gave their lives in the Air Service of the United States & her Allies. (Invitation). Folded sheet, 10 x 6," text on first & third pages, club insignia in red & blue, lists of patronesses (Mrs. Calvin Coolidge), committee." - Peter L. Masi
- Folder 3: Aviation Postcards and Leaflets
- Item 1: Postcard: Primary Training Plane, Pensacola, Florida, ca. 1920
- "Erikson's News Agency, Pensacola. Color halftone of Naval Cadet landing on water, crane, hangar by E.C. Kropp Co, Milwaukee. 3.5 x 5.5" card." - Peter L. Masi
- Item 2: Leaflet: Cantilever Aero Company, New York City, U.S.A. The Commercial Aeroplane is Here, ca. 1920
- "Folded slip, 6.25 x 3.5." Color image of plane flying over smokestacks by E. Maurer, color halftone by Alfred O. Hohen of 'Christmas Bullet' designed by William Whitney Christmas. Descibes plane sold to Kerr Steamship Company, NYC; Christmas 1865-1960, born Warrenton, North Carolina." - Peter L. Masi
- Folder 4: Weems System of Navigation: Weems Aircraft Plotter, Mark II, ca. 1935?
- "Weems System of Navigation, Annapolis, Maryland. Weems Aircraft Plotter, Mark II. (Plastic device with instruction sheet, sleeve). No date, ca 1935? 4 x 13" printed clear plastic ruler/protractor. 2p instruction sheet, 11 x 8.5", illustration of device. Printed paper sleeve. Sleeve torn, soiled, instruction sheet bit bugeaten, creased, worn, soiled, device." -Peter L. Masi
- Folder 5: G. Felsenthal & Sons, Incorporated: Computer, Air Navigation, Dead Reckoning, Type MB-4, ca. 1945?
- "(Device, leather pouch). No date, ca 1945? 11 x 4.75", printed plastic scale slides printed metal circular discs fastened with screw posts, spacer, grommted rotating dial with diecut windows to expose calculations, other side has clear plastic window to reveal plastic scale, rotating dial with large window held by metal struts. 2-piece leather pouch, sewn along edges. Computer bit rubbed, soiled manuscript calculations added to scale, pouch." -Peter L. Masi
- Folder 6: Civil Aeronautica Administration, Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C. CPT (Civilian Pilot Training) Pilot Rating Book for Paul Bennett, Holden, Massachusets, 1942
- "Ground course (CPT Controlled Elementary) taken at Colby College; Flight Instruction Commenced Jul 23, 1942, Airways, Inc., Waterville Airport, Waterville, Maine (144) pages. 5 x 8," cloth spine, stiff paper. Student Information form, suggestions to operators and instructors, rating book information, rating and remarks form sheets for each lesson, plane make, model, date, time, wind, skills, coordination, control, judgment, aptitude, habits, accuracy, signtatures." -Peter L. Masi
- Folder 7: National Airlines pins, n.d.
- Four small pins, two labeled for stewardesses and the others only containing the name of the airline.
- Folder 8: Newspaper, June - July 2017
- Folder 9: Modern Air Transport Documents, 1968-1969
- Case 5
- Drawer 13
- Folder 1: Mitchel Haifter, instructor, Daniel Guggenheim School of Aeronautics, New York University, Airplane Engine Laboratory, Original Drawings and Engine Test Log Sheet, 1930-1932
- "Ink drawing, 22 x 33," 2 Place Sport & Training Plane, Mitchel Haifter, Oct. 12, 1930. Pencil drawing, 17 x 22," Landing Gear, Mitchel Haifter, no date. Engine Test Log Sheet, 11.5 x 17," printed form with RPM, fuel used, for 9 runs of unnamed engine." -Peter L. Masi
- Item 1: Drawing 1
- Item 2: Drawing 2
- Item 3: Engine Test Log Sheet