By Steve Hersh and Pamela Fuentes Korban
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The O, Miami collection holds memorabilia associated with the literary organization and their events and publications. The materials document many of the inventive techniques used to promote poetry during their annual O, Miami Poetry Festival, including poetry parking tickets and poems in the form of lottery scratch off tickets. Other events documented include the organization's visiting writers series, and their collaborations with Pages and Spreads, another local literary organization. The collection also includes chapbooks/zines that collect poems and writings from local Miami writers.
O, Miami is a local organization that promotes literary culture in the South Florida region. Founded by P. Scott Cunningham, the organization has a major presence in the literary scene in Miami. Their events include the O, Miami Poetry Festival and a visiting writers series, along with smaller events throughout the course of the year. The organization also maintains a publishing wing, Jai-Alai Books, and produces a literary magazine, also under the Jai-Alai title.
Alternate Extent Statement:
This collection is open for research.
University of Miami does not own copyright. It is incumbent on the user to obtain copyright from the original authors and/or the O, Miami organization.
Gift of O, Miami, 2015.
Books Are Nice collection
Noé, T., & Echevarria, G. (2014). Forager: A subjective guide to Miami's edible plants. Miami: Jai-Alai Books.
For more information please see http://www.omiami.org/
O, Miami collection, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida.
Processed by Steve Hersh, October 2014, and Pamela Fuentes Korban, U Grow Fellow, March 2016 under the supervision of Beatrice Skokan, Manuscripts Librarian.
Finding Aid Revision History:
Boxes 3-6, accessioned by Pamela Fuentes Korban, U Grow Fellow, March 2015.
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Bike Spoke Cards, 2014
- 4 bike spoke cards featuring poem fragments from Emily Dickinson, Gabriela Mistral, Jorge Luis Borges, and Wallace Stevens.
- Folder 2: Bookmark, 2014
- Features the poem "The Journey" by Mary Oliver.
- Folder 3: Business Cards, n.d.
- Folder 4: Coasters, n.d.
- 5 coasters featuring poems by Kacee Belcher, W.B. Yeats, Jennifer L. Knox, Terrence Hayes, and A.E. Stallings. Each coaster includes a Spanish translation on the opposite side.
- Folder 5: Correspondence: Pitbull, 2013
- Folder 6: Flyers
- Folder 7: Lunch Poems Project Ephemera, n.d.
- Includes two stickers and a Frank O'Hara poem printed on a brown paper bag.
- Folder 8: Magazine: Edible South Florida, 2014
- Spring 2014 Issue (Number 2, Volume 5). Features an article on Forager: A Subjective Guide to Miami's Edible Plants, by Tiffany Noé and George Echevarria, published by Jai-Alai Books in 2014.
- Folder 9: Map: Lit Crawl Miami, 2014
- Map for the inaugural literary crawl in Miami.
- Folder 10: Miscellaneous Ephemera, 2013-2014
- Folder 11: Newspaper Article, 2014-2016
- New York Times article from March 27, 2014, highlighting the O, Miami Poetry Festival.
- Folder 12: O! Poetry Recipes, n.d.
- Recipes for chicken and waffles, shrimp and grits, and fried okra.
- Folder 13: Poems, 2013-2014
"These are the Rainbows in the Splashing" by Oscar Fuentes
"Une Histoire" by Bacheler
Untitled poem by Louisa Mason
- Folder 14: Poetry Parking Tickets, n.d.
3 poems printed to look like Miami-Dade County parking tickets:
"The Fall" by Russell Edson
"Team Effort" by Bob Hicok
"To: From:" by Orhan Veli, translated by Jordan Davis
- Folder 15: Postcards, n.d.
- Folder 16: Programs, 2011-2013
Event programs for the following:
"Stacks": A multi-disciplinary collaboration between choreographer Jonah Bokaer, writer Anne Carson, and sculptor Peter Cole, April 8, 2011.
"Billy Collins with Melissa Broder", April 1, 2012.
O, Miami Poetry Festival 2013
- Folder 17: Scratch Poem, 2014
- Poem resembling a lottery scratch off ticket. Poem featured is titled, "The Note"
- Folder 18: Stickers, 2014
Fragment from "Ode to Tomatoes" by Pablo Neruda
Poem in the form of a bathroom handwashing sign that states, "The CDC recommends washing your hands for as long as it takes you to read the poem below."
- Folder 19: Zine: The Alleyways of South Beach, 2013
- Folder 20: Zine: Ballerz, 2010
- Subtitled, "Poems about the NBA"
- Folder 21: Zine: Coaxial Incontinence, 2010
- Folder 22: Zine: Illuminated Broadsides, 2013
- Folder 23: One Cent/Five Cent Journal, 2009
- Subtitled, "A Modern Anthology of Miami Poets." Issue number one is titled "One Cent Journal" and issue number five is titled "Five Cent Journal."
- Folder 24: Zine: Trans/Tell, 2013
- Zine was the end product of a "Literary Telephone" event sponsored by Jai-Alai Magazine, Pages and Spreads and Coloform. See also: Books Are Nice collection.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Poster: Pages and Spreads Event, 2014
- Poster for a local zine and publishing fair held on April 19, 2014 at the Edgewater Poetry & Athletics Club. See also: Books Are Nice collection
- Folder 2: Posters: Charles Simic Poem
- 3 posters featuring a fragment from the poem, "In The Library" by Charles Simic. One poster features the poem in English, another in Spanish, and another in Haitian Creole.
- Folder 3: Tote Bags, n.d.
- Folder 4: Vinyl Record: Live Poetry Performances, 2011
- 7" vinyl recording of poetry performances by Tracy K. Smith, and Gabrielle Calvocoressi.
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Correspondence: Miscellaneous, 2015
- Various emails, notes, meeting minutes, poems, programs and design plans. From 2012 to 2015. Languages: English and Spanish.
- Folder 2: Flyers: Miscellaneous, 2015
- Various flyers and two copies of "2015 Survey" flyers.
- Folder 4: Publications: Jai-Alai Books, 2014
- Three periodicals published by Jai-Alai books, each containing various poems.
- Folder 5: Publications: O, Miami, 2015
- Publications: " O," "The Swamp Poetry Karaoke Selection", "The Sun Like a Big Dark Animal" No dates.
- Folder 6: Subject File: O, Miami, 2015
- Mentions of "O, Miami" in "The Miami Rail" and in "Edible South Florida" magazines.
- Folder 7: Web Files: O, Miami, 2017
- Includes print-out of Statement of Values for O, Miami.
- Box 4: Ephemera : O, Miami and Jai-Alai Books, 2015
- The O, Miami and Jai-Alai Books' ephemera box includes: "poetry pops", various "Business Reply Mail","O, Miami Poetry Tag, Jai-Alai seal, Jai-Alai Books business cards, Jai-Alai Books "Honest Matches", and Jai-Alai Books' roll of tape describing the history of the sport of Jai-Alai.
- Box 5: Clothing
- Items of clothing from O, Miami and Jai-Alai Books.
- Item 1: Bag
- O, Miami black canvas tote bag.
- Item 2: Bandana: Blue, 2015
- Item 3: Bandana: Green, 2015
- Item 4: Bandana: Pink, 2015
- Item 5: Bandana: Red, 2015
- Item 6: T-shirt: Jai-Alai Books, 2015
- One (XL) "Department of Poetry Works" white t-shirt.
- Item 7: T-shirt: O, Miami, 2015
- One (S) O, Miami "Diamonds, Rainbows" t-shirt.
- Box 6: Posters
- Various oversized posters
- Item 1: Egg bag: Issue No.1, 2014
- Produced by Primary and Family.
- Item 2: Haiku About Vegas, 2009
- Woodblock signed and dated by the artist: Brian Reedy, 2009.
- Folder 3: Woodblock prints: United by Our Rough Edges, 2015
- Contains: One double sided woodcut print, white ink on black paper: United by Our Rough Edges: The Zipcodes of Miami-Dade County/ Presented by O, Miami. Two single sided woodcut print, black ink on white paper: United by Our Rough Edges: The Zipcodes of Miami-Dade County/ Presented by O, Miami.
- Box 7: 2010-2011
- Folder 1: Postcards
- Folder 2: Poems/Poetry Books
- Folder 3: Magazines
- Folder 4: Newspapers
- Folder 5: Proposals, Event Deatails, Event Instructions
- Folder 6: Blue Folder-Poems, Postcards, Pictures, Index Cards
- Folder 7: Items
- Box 8: 2013-2014
- Folder 1: Cards
- Folder 2: Emails/Letters & Adresses
- Folder 3: Poetry
- Folder 4: Event Details, Agenda, and Proposals
- Folder 5: Newspapers/Magazine Clippings
- Folder 6: Liability/Waiver/Informed Consent/ Release Forms
- Folder 7: Poet & Guest Information
- Folder 8: Locations & Maps
- Folder 9: Budget information & Agreements
- Folder 10: Questions/Surveys & Coloring Books
- Item 13: Binder Folders
- Item 14: Bookmarks
- Item 15: Lottery Scratch-Offs
- Box 15
- Box 9: Shirts/Bags
- Item 11: Shirts
- Item 12: Tote Bags
- Box 10: 2015
- Folder 1: Event Details, Flyers and Books
- Folder 2: Newspapers/Magazines
- Folder 3: Poetry
- Folder 4: Letters/Cards/Postcards
- Item 5: Clear Folder-Postcards, Letters, Poetry, Event Details
- Item 6: Paper Sacks
- Item 7: Dependence Napkins
- Box 11: 2016
- Folder 1: Poetry Books
- Folder 2: Braille
- Folder 3: Newspapers/Magazines
- Folder 4: Poetry
- Folder 5: Cards, Photographs, & Envelopes
- Folder 6: Letters & Certificates
- Folder 7: Event Information & Schedules
- Folder 8: Event Budget, Proposals, & Outlines
- Item 9: Book
- Item 10: Tote Bag Containing Letters & Poetry
- Box 12: MPC
- Folder 1: Letters/Emails & Agreements/Acknowledgements
- Folder 2: Attractions & Events
- Folder 3: Magazines/Newspapers
- Folder 4: Poetry
- Folder 5: Poetry Books
- Folder 6: Music
- Folder 7: Jai- Alai