By Cecilia Eyerman and Lucrece Louisdhon-Louinis
Jan Mapou (Jean-Marie Denis) is a Haitian author, playwright, director, and arts advocate. He was one of the founders of the Haitian Creole Movement, which began in Haiti in 1965. That same year he also created Sosyete Koukouy (The Fireflies Society), a multi-disciplinary arts company dedicated to preserving Haitian culural traditions and rituals. In 1969, Mapou was arrested by the Duvalier government for his activities promoting Haitian Kreyol. He immigrated to New York in 1972, before settling in Miami in 1984. He helped found chapters of Sosyete Koukouy in both New York and Miami, and serves as the Society's artistic director. Mapou's writing legacy includes 2 poetry books,1 short story, and 8 plays. He has also directed more than 15 plays in Haiti, New York,and Miami. He owns Libreri Mapou (Mapou Bookstore) in Little Haiti, which has one of the largest inventories of titles on Haitian culture and history in the nation. He alo hosts two radio programs on education and culure on WLRN Public Radio and has served on numerous boards, including the Miami Book Fair International. Finally, he is the co-founder of the Haitian Arts Alliance. In 2007, he was the recepient of the Folk Life Award from he State of Florida.
The collection is open for research.
Copyright is owned by Jan Mapou (Jean-Marie Denis). Requests to publish or display materials from this collection require written permission from the rights owner. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Gift of Jan Mapou, 2013
For more information please see Haitian Diaspora Oral History Collection Interview with Jan Mapou http://merrick.library.miami.edu/cdm/ref/collection/asm0085/id/196.
Processed by Cecilia Eyerman, Student Assistant (2015). Collection-level description by Beatrice Skokan, Manuscripts Librarian, 2016.
Finding Aid Revision History:
Audiovisual materials descriptions updated by David Rodriguez, June 2016. Collection revised by Yvette Yurubi, May 2017.
Box and Folder Listing
- Series I: Photo Albums
- Box 1
- Item 1: Red Photo Album (medium): Sosyete Koukouy dance and song, N.D.
- Item 2: Black photo album (small): Haitian Youth of Tomorrow and Sosyete Koukouy events, N.D.
- Item 3: Red photo album (large): Soysete Koukouy events, 2002, 1981, 1999, 2000
- Item 4: Black photo album (large): Haitian cultural events and ceremonies, 1994, 1980
- Box 2
- Item 1: Blue photo album (medium): Haitian music and dance, 2003
- Item 2: Blue photo album (medium): Sosyete Koukouy meetings and music, N.D.
- Item 3: Car photo album (medium): Sosyete Koukouy event in Camaguey, Cuba, 2009
- Item 4: Landscape photo album (medium): Miami's 106th Anniversary Event, 2002
- Item 5: Red photo album (large): Sosyete Koukouy art, parades, dance, 1997, 2000, 2003
- Item 6: Rowboat photo album (medium): Sosyete Koukouy plays and acting, 2003, 2004
- Item 7: River photo album (medium): Lectures and the Miami book fair, N.D.
- Item 8: Dark blue photo album (small): Sosyete Koukouy 40th Anniversary Celebration, 2005
- Box 3
- Item 1: Floral photo album (large): Bookstore pictures and events, 1997
- Item 2: Monkey photo album (medium): Camaguey, Cuba events, June 20-27, 2009
- Item 3: Blue palm tree photo album (medium): President Préval event and performances, 2006
- Item 4: Blue rose photo album (medium): Sosyete Koukouy Conference, 2003
- Item 5: Floral photo album 2 (large): Liberi Mapou event with Féliix Morisseau-Leroy and funeral, 1997, 1998
- Item 6: Black photo album (large): Miami Bookfair, 2002
- Item 7: Scenic town photo album 1 (medium): Sosyete Koukouy dance and performances, 2007, 2002, 2000
- Item 8: Scenic town photo album 2 (medium): Sosyete Koukouy speaking engagements, 2003
- Item 1: New archival cover album (large): NY Theater, N.D.
- Item 2: Grey photo album (large): Libreri Mapou Events, 1996-1997
- Item 3: Grey photo album (large): Koukouy, 1996-1998
- Item 4: Grey photo album (large): Miscellaneous, 1996-1999
- Item 5: Red photo album (large): Libreri Mapou Events, 1997-1998
- Item 6: Red photo album (large): Miscellaneous, 1997-1998
- Series II: Audio-Visual Materials
- Box 4: Audio-Visual Materials - 3 VHS-C tapes & Audiocassettes, 1992-2000
- Item 1: VHS-C: Clarence, Communion, May 6, 2000
- Item 2: VHS-C: Semoine de la Diasfora, July 17, 2000
- Item 3: VHS-C: Unlabeled
- Item 4: South Dade Performance Library, February 26, 1994
- Item 5: Chita Tande Kazak, Koralen: Dejune, Mandela-Cauvin-Maou, Jezikri, April 4-27, 1993
- Item 6: A - Chita Tande, Let Pou Tisolda / B - Anten Koukouy, Komemorasyon, July 5-19, 1994
- Item 7: Noel Compas
- Item 8: Chilta Tande, Repotaj Marta & Salad Pwezi, February 1 & June 28, 1994
- Item 9: Moreso Leroy Anniversary, March 13, 1995
- Item 10: Benwa Batravil, November 4, 1992
- Item 11: Chita Tande, Repotay Kiltirel, Fledize Chante, November 30, 1993 & March 1, 1994
- Item 12: Chita Tande, Kristof Kolon, Serge Fuerte, November 17-24, 1992
- Item 13: Kazak, April 2, 1993
- Item 14: A - Chita Tande, Dyalog Zanmitay / B - Anten Koukovy, July 12 & August 2, 1994
- Item 15: 40 Semine, August 1993
- Item 16: [Label indecipherable] - Tape II
- Item 17: A- Chita Tande, Marlene Sou Famm / B - Mission Societe C, March 2, 1993
- Item 18: Anten Koukovy, January 14, 1994
- Box 5: Audio-Visual Materials - Audiocassettes, 1992-2008
- Item 1: Seth and Chris' Room Mix / Police Mix
- Item 2: Unlabeled tape
- Item 3: Kont, Paula Pean, April 23, 2000
- Item 4: Chita Tande, June 29 & July 12, 1993
- Item 5: A- Chita Tande Rankont Ak Marcel Alexis / B - Chita Tande Pawol Fanm, September 20 & December 13, 1994
- Item 6: Dr, Chailot, July 6, 2008
- Item 7: 20 Semine, April 24, 1993
- Item 8: Chita Tande / Espesyal Mandela, April 12-26, 1994
- Item 9: N'a Debat Theatre Radiophonique de Fayolle Jean
- Commercially produced cassette
- Item 10: 60 Semine Sosyete Koukovy, January 5, 1993
- Item 11: L'Artiste Nationaliste - Ivens Lavalasse, "An Nou Fe You Se!" Oun Mizik Pou Haiti
- Sealed, commerically produced cassette
- Item 12: Seremoni Setifika, 1993
- Item 13: DPM Kannte, December 4, 1994
- Item 14: Sosyete Koukovy, 1993
- Item 15: Chita Tande, March 22, 1991
- Item 16: Chita Tande Rankont Ak Max Manigat, 1994
- Item 17: Theologie et Politique, May 20, 1993