Title: J. Carlton Barnette papers
Creator: Barnette, J. Carlton
Extent: 2.0 Boxes
Languages: English, Spanish;Castilian
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The J. Carlton Barnette Papers include two book-length manuscripts, two notebooks with research material, five short manuscripts with accompanying photographs, the contents of a photo album, and various other loose photographs, all related to Peru. The photographs in the manuscripts and those found loose in the collection are appendixed at the end. Those photographs in the photo album were not appendixed due to their organization in the album.
Very little is known of Mr. Barnette and even less is known with certainty. Robert E. McNicoll, Ph.D, former professor of Hispanic-American History at the University of Miami wrote the forewords for the two book-length manuscripts in this collection. Dr. McNicoll believes that Mr. Barnette lived in Miami, Florida for a period of about one year prior to World War II.
This collection is open for research.
J. Carlton Barnette Papers Finding Aid © 1982 University of Miami. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
J. Carlton Barnette Papers, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida
Finding Aid Revision History:
Revised by Rudo Kemper, 2009.
Container List (PDF):
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1: Long Manuscripts
- Folder 1: Peruvian, Panorama, by J. Carlton Barnette.
- Approximately 40,000 words. Foreword by Robert E. McNicoll, Ph.D. Accompanied by 82 photographs
- Folder 2: Ring of the Inca, by J. Carlton Barnette.
- Foreword by Robert E. McNicoll, Ph.D.
- Box 2: Short Manuscripts, Notebooks, and Photographs
- Folder 1: Aerial Lake Titicaca
- Approx. 925 words with one accompanying photograph
- Folder 2: Eighth World Wonder of Antiquity
- Approx. 1,200 words with five accompanying photographs
- Folder 3: Farming in Ancient Peru
- Approx. 1,100 words with five accompanying photographs
- Folder 4: I Visited Paradise
- Approx. 1,500 words with thirteen accompanying photographs
- Folder 5: Machu Picchu, Sanctuary of the Virgins
- Approx. 1350 words with nine accompanying photographs
- Folder 6: Notebook, Quichua Vocabulary
- Folder 7: Notebook of quoted information from various sources on subject related to the Incas and Peru
- Folder 8: Assorted photographs (29) of Peru, Incas, Machu Picchu, etc.
- Folder 9: Assorted photographs (8) of Peru, Incas, Cuzco, etc.
- Folder 10: Postcards (2) of Lima, Peru: "Jorge Chavez Monument", B&w., 4x6 in. "Union Street", B&w., 4x6 in.
- Folder 11: Photograph album of Peru and Inca ruins
- Folder 12: Copies of original layout of the photo album with the original captions written by Barnette