By Rudo Kemper
Title: Hervey Allen collection, 1919-1979
Extent: 1.0 Boxes
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Hervey Allen was a literature professor, poet, World War I veteran, and Trustee of the University of Miami from 1936 until 1949, the year that he died. Allen had a formative influence on the "Friends of the University" organization, as well as on Latin American studies at the University.
The collection consists of letters both by Allen and about Allen after his passing away, clippings about Allen and his writings, photographs, photocopies and typescripts of Allen's writings, and obituaries including an official University of Miami memorial.
This collection is open for research.
Hervey Allen Collection Finding Aid © 2009 University of Miami. All rights reserved. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to email@example.com.
Hervey Allen Collection, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida
Finding Aid Revision History:
Further processing and content description by David Rodriguez, June 2016
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Genalogical Records, 1936-1973
- Folder 2: Various Publications
- Item 1: "The Bermudian" magazine, March 1956
- Contains poetry by Hervey Allen and writings on his work
- Item 2: "Pitt: A Magazine of Fact and Thought at the University of Pittsburgh", Autumn 1956
- Contains essay on life and work of Hervey Allen
- Item 3: "Hervey Allen and Mark Twain," article in Hobbies magazine, March 1950
- Item 4: "When Shady Avenue Was Shady Lane", 1919
- Poem by Hervey Allen printed on cardstock
- Item 5: "A Man and A Book," article in The Bermudian, November 1949
- Item 6: "The Long Honeymoon: Author in an Old House," article in The Bermudian magazine, December 1949
- Item 7: Interview with Hervey Allen in Cosmopolitan magazine, September 1948
- Interview by Robert Van Gelder
- Item 8: "The Spirit of the Maid," poem published in Life magazine, September 18, 1919
- Folder 3: Typescripts + "In Memoriam" publication
- Item 1: Typescript: "Thou, Mother" (poem)
- Item 2: Typescript: "To My Father" (poem)
- Item 3: Typescript: "Ode in Time of Madness" (poem)
- Item 4: Hervey Allen: In Memoriam, December 28, 1949
- 2 copies - contains biograpghical essay and list of UM Board of Trustees
- Folder 4: Photographs
- Folder 5: Photocopies
- Copies of correspondence, poetry, and fiction works.
- Folder 6: Clippings
- Various newsclippings featuring book reviews and public appearances
- Folder 7: Carbon copy: "Ode in Time of Madness" + Letter of Donation, September 24, 1978
- Letter from J. Riis Owre, Professor of Spanish, Emeritus
- Folder 8: UM Radio Continuity Script: "University Hour #14: Memorial to Hervey Allen", September 5, 1950
- Folder 9: Seal of The Poetry Society of South Carolina, 1921
- Commemorating the formation of the Society by Dubose Heyward, Hervey Allen, and John Bennett
- Folder 10: Correspondence, 1948-1949
- Folder 11: Introduction to unpublished "The Collected Poems of Hervey Allen", 1972
- Photocopy of manuscript by Alexander Blackburn. Includes Table of Contents of poetry collection but only Introductory text of the book (41 pgs).