By Rudo Kemper
Title: Theodore Bolton papers, 1861-1977
Creator: Bolton, Theodore (1889-1973)
Extent: 8.0 Boxes
Arrangement: The Theodore Bolton Papers are divided into three series: I. Writings, II. Sketches, Illustrations, and Sketchbooks, and III. Assorted Materials.
Languages: English, German, French
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Theodore Bolton Papers contains materials that span from across the entirety of Bolton's life. Bolton was active as a book illustrator and as an art historian, and so there are typescripts, manuscripts, reprints, and periodicals, as well as sketches, prints, drawings, engravings, and sketchbooks.
Bolton's sketches are primarily illustrations for books or Christmas Card designs. Also among the sketches are several done by other illustrators. These include an original illustration by Timothy Cole, as well as a number of original sketches by James Daugherty. Many of these sketches are on Christmas cards sent to Theodore Bolton and Helen, his wife.
Beside his manuscripts and illustrations, of special notice are travel journals by Bolton spanning across several decades, each of which contain illustrations of the places that he visited, and 20 Confederate States of America Banknotes.
Theodore Bolton was a librarian, art historian, and artist. He was born in Columbia, South Carolina, on January 12, 1889. Bolton received a diploma in the arts from that Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, in 1915. He studied library science at the same institute, receiving a diploma in that subject in 1924. He pursued formal academic work later in his life as well, receiving in 1937 a B.S. in education, and a M.A. in education in 1940, both from New York University. Thereafter, he received an M.F.A. from Columbia in 1955. In addition, he studied at Harvard during the summers from 1937 to 1939.
Although he illustrated editions of Adelbert von Chamisso's Peter Schlemihl (1923) and Prosper Merimee's Diane de Turgis (1925), which he also translated, and had his works shown in a number of exhibitions, his hoped-for career as an artist was cut short when his elbow was shattered in a gymnasium accident. Thereafter, he spent his time writing about art more than creating it.
Bolton's first major published work in the field was Early American Portrait Painters in Miniature, a volume of brief biographical sketches of artists of the genre together with a checklist of their extant portraits. His later publications include Early American Portrait Draughtsmen in Crayons, American Book Illustrators: Bibliographic Check Lists of 123 Artists, and Ezra Ames in Albany.
Bolton served various posts in the Washington, D.C. Public Library from 1911 to 1913, the Library of Congress from 1918 to 1921, and the Brooklyn Public Library from 1924 to 1926. From 1926 until his retirement in 1958, Bolton was librarian of the Century Association in New York City.
Bolton was elected to membership in the American Antiquarian Society at the semiannual meeting in 1950. At the meeting a year later he read a paper printed in the Proceedings as "The Book Illustrations of Felix Octavius Carr Darley."
Upon his retirement, Bolton and his wife moved to Coconut Grove, Florida. Theodore Bolton died at his Coconut Grove home on Friday, December 7, 1973.
This collection is open for research.
Theodore Bolton Papers Finding Aid © 2009 University of Miami. All rights reserved. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helen and Theodore Bolton donated a number of books to the University of Miami Libraries, including some of Theodore Bolton's own writings and books that he illustrated:
Bolton, Theodore. American Book Illustrators. New York: R. R. Bowker company, 1938.
Spec Coll Transfer Z1023 .B71
Dickens, Charles. Barnaby Rudge, A Tale Of The Riots Of '80. New York: The Heritage Press, 1953.
Spec Coll PR4555 .A1 1953
Greenaway, Kate. A Christmas Letter From Kate Greenaway. New York: G. Arents, 1954.
Spec Coll NC1860 .G68 1954
Hearn, Lafcadio. Japanese Fairy Tales. Mount Vernon, NY: The Peter Pauper Press, 1936.
Spec Coll PZ8.H35 J93 1936
Trollope, Anthony. The Last Chronicle Of Barset. London: Smith, Elder, 1867.
Spec Coll PR5684 .L45 1867
Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery. Mark Twain; an exhibition selected mainly from the papers belonging to the Samuel L. Clemens Estate, on deposit in the Huntington Library. San Marino, CA: 1947.
Spec Coll Z8176 .H4
Crothers, Samuel McChord. Miss Muffet's Christmas Party. New York: G. Arents, 1957.
Spec Coll PZ7.C883 M8 1957
Whitman, Walt. Walt Whitman's America: Being Selections From Leaves of Grass, Democratic Vistas, Specimen Days, and Portraits of Lincoln. Cleveland: World Pub. Co., 1964.
Spec Coll PS3204 .D37 1964
Theodore Bolton Papers, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida
Finding Aid Revision History:
Beatrice Skokan, 2010.
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Notebook: Contemporary World Civilization, 1933-1939
- First page notes: "The present note book is a survey of existing nations. It consists in extracts, notes, and clippings from contemporary periodicals and books. It also contains summarizations of classroom discussions."
- Folder 2: Typescript: Design in Form and Color, 1932
- Folder 3: Typescript: Design in Form and Color, n.d.
- Folder 4: Typescript: An Index to the Work of J.E. Laboureur, 1934
- Folder 5: Sketchbook: Supplement to an Index to the Work of J.E. Laboureur, n.d.
- Folder 6: Manuscript: Interior Architecture & Decoration, 1935
- "Notes on a course of lectures given at the Metropolitain Museum, February to May, 1935, by E.J. Tudor."
- Folder 7: Typescript: Mademoiselle de Scuderi, A Tale of the Times of Louis the Fourteenth by E. T. W. Hoffman, 1949
- Translated and Illustrated by Theodore Bolton.
- Folder 8: Typescript: My Heart is an Artichoke by Edgar Lee Hay, 1958
- Corrected by Theodore Bolton
- Folder 9: Typescript: The Panamanian Revolution of 1931, n.d.
- Folder 10: Play Production, Play-Writing and Stagecraft, n.d.
- 2 copies
- Folder 11: Typescript: The Plays of August Strindberg: A Descriptive and Critical Review, with a Catalog of the Plays and a List of English Translations, n.d.
- Folder 12: Typescript: Preliminary Drawings for Pictorial Compositions, 1938
- Folder 13: Typescript: Research in Design Vol. I, 1942
- by Helen S. Bolton
- Folder 14: Typescript: Research in Design Vol. II, 1942
- by Helen S. Bolton
- Folder 15: Reprint from the Art Quarterly, Winter 1939: "John Hesselius, An Account of his Life and the First Catalogue of his Portraits, 1939
- Folder 16: Periodical: The Antiquarian, October 1930
- Folder 17: Periodical: The Princeton University Library Chronicle, 1964
- Folder 18: Art News, Volume 55, Number 7, November 1956
- Folder 19: Manuscripts, notebooks, photocopies, and other writings about Bernard Shaw
- Folder 20: Writings: Miscellanea
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Writings on Degas (etc.), 1919
- Folder 2: Typescript on Hoffman, n.d.
- Folder 3: Typescript: "The Importance of Being Earnest", n.d.
- Folder 4: Typescript on Van Gogh, 1959
- Folder 5: Typescript: "John Millington Synge, The Playboy of the Western World", n.d.
- Folder 6: Typescript: English Book Illustrators, and An Annotated Catalogue of Books Illustrated by Rennell, n.d.
- Folder 7: Typescript: Books on Play Production 1933-1943, An Annotated Bibliography, 1943
- Folder 8: Reprint from the Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society: "The Book Illustrations of Felix Octavius Carr Darley", April 1951
- Folder 9: Publication: Miss Muffet's Christmas Party by Samuel McChord Crothers, with Illustrations by Theodore Bolton, December 25, 1957
- Folder 10: Research documents for English Book Illustrators, n.d.
- Folder 11: Artwork copied by Theodore Bolton, 1861-1863, 1969, 1902-1921
- Folder 12: Christmas cards, n.d., 1960s
- Folder 13: Christmas cards: Daugherty, 1970s
- Folder 14: Color charts, n.d.
- Folder 15: Drawings and printed illustrations, n.d.
- Folder 16: Illustration by Timothy Cole, n.d.
- Folder 17: Japanese art, 1812, 1931
- Folder 18: Notebook: Compositions, 1931
- Folder 19: Notebook: Compositions, 1935 - 1940
- Folder 20: Photocopies of artwork by Theodore Bolton, n.d.
- Folder 21: Sketchbook, n.d.
- Folder 22: Sketchbook, 1941
- Folder 23: Sketchbook, 1944-1946
- Folder 24: Sketches, 1940-1941
- Folder 25: "The Wild Wild West" by James Daugherty, n.d.
- Folder 26: "Aladdin", n.d.
- Folder 27: Bernard Boutet de Monvel, n.d., 1921, 1926-1928
- Folder 28: Bolton Ancestry, n.d., 1895, 1906, 1959, 1961
- Folder 29: Century Association Medallion, n.d.
- Folder 30: Chronology & Bibliography of Theodore Bolton, n.d.
- Folder 31: Confederate Money, 1861-1863
- Folder 32: Correspondence - General, 1910s - 1920s, 1940s - 1970s
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Correspondence: Bolton, Helen, n.d., 1925-1926, 1936, 1948, 1958, 1961, 1963, 1972-1974, 1977
- Folder 2: Correspondence: Daugherty, J., 1958, 1966-1969, 1971-1974
- Folder 3: Correspondence: Davies, Harold, n.d., 1929-1930, 1942, 1945, 1948-1951, 1953-1956, 1959-1966, 1968, 1970-73
- Folder 4: Fairchild, David, n.d., 1929
- Folder 5: Gütterdämmerung Music Drama, n.d.
- Folder 6: Panama Note Books, 1931
- Folder 7: From Coast to Coast and Back: A Travel Journal, 1940
- Folder 8: Journal, Virginia City, 1940
- Folder 9: Journal, 1941-1958
- Folder 10: The Virgin Field Drawing Book: Journal, Coast to Coast, 1960
- Folder 11: Journal, 1961
- Folder 12: Memorial Service, 1974
- Folder 13: Mencken, H.L., n.d., 1921, 1966
- Folder 14: Miscellanea, 1916, 1938, 1951,
- Folder 15: Notebook: Columbia University: "Appreciation of Music", 1949
- Folder 16: Passport of Theodore Bolton, 1938
- Folder 17: Photos of Theodore Bolton and wife, n.d., 1890, 1896, 1917, 1925, 1942
- Folder 18: Photographs - Unident.
- Folder 19: Scrapbook, n.d.
- Folder 20: Scrapbook: Gilbert Wilkinson, n.d.
- Folder 21: Travel Notes: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland, Delaware; California, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, 1940
- Folder 22: Travel, painting by T.M. Cleland, n.d.
- Folder 23: Yearbook: Pratt Institute, 1915
- Folder 24: The Yellow Dwarf, n.d.
- Box 4
- Folder 1: Sketchbook, 1907, 1909-1912, 1916
- Folder 2: Sketchbook, 1931-1933
- Folder 3: Sketchbook, 1930-1940
- Primarily consists of Christmas card sketches.
- Folder 4: Engravings, n.d.
- 13 Steel and Copper Engravings by Bolton.
- Box 5
- Folder 1: Prints by James Daugherty, n.d.
- Folder 2: Color Sketch: Costume Chart for "The Man Who Came To Dinner", 1942
- Folder 3: Color Sketch: The Doctor's Room, n.d.
- Folder 4: Print: Riquet of the Tuft, n.d.
- Folder 5: Print: Puss in Boots, n.d.
- Folder 6: Sketch: Gold Prospector in a Canyon, 1928
- Folder 7: Sketch: Cowboy and Horse, n.d.
- Folder 8: Print: Puss in Boots (Tail Piece), n.d.
- Folder 9: Sketch: [untitled], n.d.
- Folder 10: Sketch: Musical Review, n.d.
- Folder 11: Print: Puss in Boots, n.d.
- Folder 12: Print: Bluebeard, n.d.
- Folder 13: Print: Little Red Riding Hood, n.d.
- Folder 14: Bluebeard (Heading), n.d.
- Folder 15: Print: Cinderella, n.d.
- Folder 16: Print: Sleeping Beauty, n.d.
- Folder 17: Print: Cinderella, n.d.
- Folder 18: Print: "Who Is That Prowler?", n.d.
- Folder 19: Color sketch: [untitled], n.d.
- Folder 20: Cinderella (Heading), n.d.
- Folder 21: Print: Little Tom Thumb, n.d.
- Folder 22: Print: Little Tom Thumb, n.d.
- Folder 23: Print: [untitled], n.d.
- Folder 24: Print: Blue Beard, n.d.
- Folder 25: Print: Puss in Boots, n.d.
- Folder 26: Print: Cinderella, n.d.
- Box 6
- Folder 1: "Who Envies None Whom Chance Doth Raise", 1884-1886
- Folder 2: "A Chimera of Notre Dame", 1912
- Folder 3: "Study For A Historical Subject", 1914-1916
- Folder 4: Water Colors By Stevens, 1915
- Folder 5: "The Piers At Yonkers", 1917
- Folder 6: Untitled illustration of woman, 1917
- Folder 7: "Montague Terrace" & "The Porch" (Brooklyn & Washington), 1917-1918
- Folder 8: "The Lounge", 1918
- Folder 9: "Montague Terrace, Brooklyn", 1918
- Folder 10: "Old Gunpowder Dock" (etching), 1918
- Folder 11: Untitled architectural illustrations, 1918
- Folder 12: "Charles II Granting the Charter of Carolina to the Lord's Properietors, March 24, 1663", 1919-1920
- Folder 13: "Miss Lola Au Cirque Fernando, By E. Degas, Jan. 1879" copied by T. Bolton, 1932
- Folder 14: "Toscanini Conducting at Carnegie Hall", 1933
- Folder 15: "The Baron's Fur Coat Goes Mad", n.d.
- Folder 16: "The Canal Bridge, Georgetown, D.C." [Water Color], n.d.
- Folder 17: Christian Religious Art, n.d.
- Folder 18: European Costume Illustrations by Jaquemin and Smitherman, n.d.
- Folder 19: Floral Stencils, n.d.
- Folder 20: "Coast of Maine", "Maine Coast", & "The Island" (etching), n.d.
- Folder 21: "Spanish Dancer" (inkdrawing), n.d.
- Folder 22: Sketches, n.d.
- Folder 23: Various Sketches, n.d.
- Folder 24: "Stay Right Where You Are", n.d.
- Folder 25: "Terrapin Manor - Who Is That Prowler? Chap. XIII", n.d.
- Box 7
- Folder 1: Artist's Guild, 1929-1931
- Folder 2: Boats, n.d., 1930-1931
- Folder 3: Building/House Facades, n.d., 1929-1931
- Folder 4: The Caribbean, 1930s
- Folder 5: Cats & Dogs, 1930-1931
- Folder 6: Charles Fairman/R.Johnson, 1930
- Folder 7: Circus, 1930-1931
- Folder 8: Court Scenes, 1930
- Folder 9: Identified People, 1930-1931
- Folder 10: Identified Theatres, n.d., 1929-1932
- Folder 11: Library Graduation, 1932
- Folder 12: Miami, 1930
- Folder 13: Miscellaneous, n.d.
- Folder 14: Miscellaneous People, n.d., 1929-1932
- Box 8
- Folder 1: Miscellaneous Theatres, n.d., 1929-1932
- Folder 2: Orchestral Performances, n.d., 1929-1931
- Folder 3: Plays - "Chocolate Soldier", 1930
- Folder 4: Plays - "Iolanthe", 1931
- Folder 5: Plays - "Patience", 1931
- Folder 6: Plays - "Ruddigore", 1931
- Folder 7: Public Transit, n.d., 1929-1932
- Folder 8: Restaurants, n.d., 1930, 1932
- Folder 9: Restaurant - The Russian Bear, 1929-1931
- Folder 10: Rodeo - Madison Square, 1929
- Folder 11: Seasons Greetings, 1930
- Folder 12: Still Life, n.d., 1930
- Folder 13: Trees, 1930
- Folder 14: Union Square, 1930