By Rudo Kemper
Title: Michael J. Maxwell papers, 1985-1988
Extent: 4.0 Boxes
Arrangement: This collection has two series: I. Opa-locka Appraisal and Restoration (Box 01-03, oversize materials in Box 04), and II. Historical Opa-locka documents (Box 04).
Scope and Contents of the Materials
Michael J. Maxwell was an architectural consultant whose firm, Michael Maxwell Associates, Inc., consulted the city of Opa-locka in the mid-80s on appraisal and restoration matters. This culminated in a Master Plan for the Restoration of Historic Opa-Locka City Hall, and a Nomination Proposal of several historical sites in Opa-Locka to the National Register of Historic Places. These two documents, as well as the planning materials, are held in the Michael J. Maxwell collection.
The collection also contains other Opa-locka related materials. Included are 1926-1927 Opa-locka price lists, a 1953 charter, copies of the Opa-locka Times from 1926 and 1927, letters including a 1926 letter petitioning for the establishment of a Post Office at Opa-locka, a history of Opa-locka brochure and preparation materials for the brochure, and other items.
This collection is open for research.
Michael J. Maxwell Papers Finding Aid © 2009 University of Miami. All rights reserved. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to email@example.com.
See also Bernhardt E. Muller Collection (ASM0655) For more information please see http://proust.library.miami.edu/findingaids/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=887.
Michael J. Maxwell Papers, Special Collections, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida
Box and Folder Listing
- Box 1: Opa-locka Appraisal & Restoration, 1985-1988
- Folder 1: Opa-locka City Hall Reconstruction, 1985-1988
- Folder 2: Opa-locka City Hall Restoration, 1985-1988
- Folder 3: Hurt Building II, 1987
- Box 2: Opa-locka Appraisal & Restoration, 1985-1987
- Folder 1: Opa-locka National Register I, 1985-1987
- Folder 2: Opa-locka National Register II, 1985-1987
- Folder 3: Opa-locka CDC Feasibility, 1986-1988
- Folder 4: Opa-locka National Register III, 1986-1987
- Box 3: Opa-locka Appraisal & Restoration, 1980-1986
- Folder 1: Photographic reproductions made from negatives belonging to M. J. Maxwell, 1986
- Folder 2: Opa-locka 60th Anniversary Official Program, 1986
- Folder 3: Master Plan for the Restoration of Historic Opa-Locka City Hall, 1980
- Folder 4: Opa-locka Thematic Group. Nomination Proposal, National Register of Historic Places, 1987
- Box 4: Opa-locka Appraisal & Restoration oversize materials and Historical Opa-locka documents, 1926-1986
- Folder 1: Opa-locka City Hall Comission Chamber Paint Restoration Oversize Photographs, 1986
- Folder 2: Opa-locka company, Inc.--Price list, Opa-Locka postcard, 1926-1927
- Folder 3: History of Opa-locka brochure, preparation materials
- Includes map of historic Opa-locka
- Folder 4: Opa-locka--early map & clippings
- Folder 5: Opa-locka--correspondence, 1926, 1930
- 1926 letter petitioning for the establishment of a Post Office at Opa-locka.
- Folder 6: Opa-locka--Charter, 1953
- Folder 7: North Dade Hub (formerly the Opa-locka News), May 26, 1955
- Folder 8: Extracts - The Miami Herald, 1926
- Folder 9: Extracts - The Miami News, 1978
- Folder 10: Opa-locka Times, August 25, 1926
- Folder 11: Opa-locka Times, Wednesday, September 22, 1926
- Folder 12: Opa-locka Times, October 6, 1926
- Folder 13: Opa-locka Times, October 20, 1926
- Folder 14: Opa-locka Times, November 3, 1926
- Folder 15: Opa-locka Times, November 17, 1926
- Folder 16: Opa-locka Times, December 1, 1926
- Folder 17: Opa-locka Times, December 29, 1926
- Folder 18: Opa-locka Times, January 8, 1927
- Folder 19: Opa-locka Times, January 26, 1927
- Folder 20: Opa-locka Times, February 9, 1927
- Folder 21: Opa-locka Times, February 23, 1927