Finding Aids

Browse Finding Aids by: Collection Subject Creator Repository

Cutler Ridge Woman's Club | University of Miami Finding Aids

Name: Cutler Ridge Woman's Club


Historical Note:

The Cutler Ridge Woman’s Club organizes and participates in a variety of civic and community service activities in Cutler Ridge and southern Florida.

The Cutler Ridge Woman’s Club was formed in 1956 when the Welcome Wagon Club of Cutler Ridge disbanded in order to form a new club with more varied activities. A charter and by-laws were drawn up and presented on 31 July 1956. The club was officially created on 28 August 1956, when 39 women signed the charter. The officers from the Welcome Wagon Club became the club’s first officers, with Mary Crum as the first president. The club adopted the hibiscus as the club flower and selected flamingo and white as the club colors.

The club has six committees: the Arts Department, Conservation Department, Education Department, Home Life, International Affairs, and Public Affairs. These committees coordinate the club’s numerous civic, community, and social activities.

Examples of the club’s community and civic engagement over the years include, but are not limited to: sponsoring girl scout troops; sponsoring scholarships; supporting schools and education; library programs; supporting youth camps; mental health forums; migrant children's programs; supporting Special Olympics; street lighting projects; Salvation Army bell ringing; supporting cancer research; environmental poster contests; and sewing contests; as well as hosting yard sales, card parties, breakfasts, and other fundraising events for various causes.

Note Author: Laura Capell






Powered by Archon Version 3.21